I want to offer collection material to the Library
Thank you! The National Library of Australia welcomes all offers of collection material. This helps us tell Australia's story from the past to the present.
Making an offer
Before you make an offer please remember:
- The Library can only accept items that are aligned with our Collection Development Policy and Collecting Strategy . Find out more about What we collect.
- Please check if we already have the item in our catalogue. There are some great tips on how to search our catalogue effectively.
- Think about what condition your item is in and let us know if it's very fragile or damaged.
Is the material archival or published?
Once you've checked whether your item is already in our collection, simply find out which form you'll need to make an offer with - Archival or Published.
1. Does your offer include any archival/original materials?
Archival materials are unpublished papers or records that are considered worth preserving. Original materials are items that can't be found anywhere else. These may include:
YES my offer includes archival or original material. Select the Archival Offer form.
2. Does your offer only include published materials?
Published material can be:
- books, journals, newspapers, maps, ephemera, posters and magazines or websites
- anything produced and distributed by a company or organisation
- anything self-produced and distributed
- single items or collections
- free or for sale.
NOTE: If you're the author or publisher and the work came out in the last five years then legal deposit is the best place for your work.
YES my offer ONLY includes published material. Select the Published Offer form.
If your offer is a mix of archival and published materials, please use the Archival Offer form.
Recommend a title for acquisition
Are we missing something in our collection? If you think we should add a title, please first have a look at What we Collect and check the Catalogue to see if we already hold the title in our collection. We welcome suggestions of titles that meet our Collection Development Policy and our Collecting Strategy.
Please complete our Suggestion Form to provide your recommendation.
Due to the high volume of suggestions received, the Library is unable to let you know whether your suggestion has been accepted. However, your generosity in making a suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Is anything still unclear? Try our FAQs!
Checking Your Offer
Please note your reference number may have changed. If you have not received your new number please contact us at email@example.com.
Want to check on the progress of an offer or suggestion you've made to the Library?