Table of Contents
On this day ...
14 - 25 March 1770
Endeavour Voyage Maps
On the 14th, we sailed along shore with a pleasant breeze; the land rose immediately from the waters edge to a very great height. Some of the highest hills were covered with snow, and the others with wood; but we saw no signs of inhabitants. We passed several breaks in the land, which might be good harbours, but we did not enter into any of them. We saw, this day, a great number of albatrosses.
On the 16th, having a breeze, we sailed along the shore of the land we had passed the day before, which appeared as wild and romantic as can be conceived. Rocks and mountains, whose tops were covered with snow, rose in view one above another from the waters edge: and those near the shore were cloathed with wood, as well as some of the valleys between the hills, whose summits reached the clouds. We saw a break in the land which we thought might be a good harbour, but it proved only a small open bay, we therefore called it Mistaken Bay. As we sailed along we passed a broken point, that had a flat top, from which the water poured down into the sea, and formed three grand natural cascades. This point we named Cascades Point. On the N. E. side of it there was a bay which we called Open Bay.
On the 20th, we met with contrary winds, which carried us away to the west-ward; but, the wind coming favourable again, we resumed our former course, and came up with a head of land which we named Cape Foul Wind.
On the 24th, we saw a point of land which we called Rocks Point, and soon after met with a Cape; and, when we got round it, found ourselves in a large bay, but did not anchor in it. The land tended away to the S. E. and, at the bottom of the bay, there is probably a river. We continued our course to the S. E. and came up with a large tract of land stretching a good way from the main to a point, near which there is a small island. We named this point Cape Stephens; and the island Stephens Isle. Having weathered the point we found ourselves in a large bay, which we called Admiralty Bay. In the mouth of this bay there are several small islands, which we named Admiralty Isles.
© Derived from the London 1773 edition printed for Stanfield Parkinson, pages 123 - 124, 2004
Published by South Seas, using the Web Academic Resource Publisher
To cite this page use: http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-ss-jrnl-parkinson-166