Home South Seas Companion
Place

Home | Browse | Search | Previous | Next
Be a South Seas Companion Supporter

Great Canoe Bay

Related Entries Published Sources Gallery
Longitude Min 149 30 W Longitude Max 17 30 00 S , Tahiti
The south-western end of Matavai Bay was named Great Canoe Bay by the Dolphin voyagers in June 1767.

Details
At the western end of the bay is Utuhaihai, a low reef-fringed promontory.

Cook gave Utuhaihai the name 'Marae Point' after discovering it was the site of a marae. It was in fact the location of Tarahoi, the principal marae of Te Porionu’u, the people of the Arue and Pare districts.

Marae Tarahoi was associated with the kin-title held by Tutaha (Ha'amanemane), the paramount title-holder of Te Porionu’u at the time of Cook's first stay on Tahiti.

 
Related Entries for Great Canoe Bay
People: Tutaha (Ha’amanemane; 'Hercules') (1708? - 1773)

Places: Utuaimahurau (Marae) | Matavai Bay

Top of Page

Google
Created: 24 April 2004

Published by South Seas, 1 February 2004
Comments, questions, corrections and additions: Paul.Turnbull@jcu.edu.au
Prepared by: Paul Turnbull
Updated: 28 June 2004
To cite this page use: http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-ss-biogs-P000413

[ Top of page | South Seas Companion Home | Browse | Search ]